Saturday, July 5, 2008

Well, my uncle chastised me via my sister that my blog is uninformative so I guess I better start writing! Ooh. Yesterday I went to Tower of London, but I came back early with a group, so no ghost walk for me. As that was the third time I've been to Tower of London I was content to sit on a park bench and read until my supervisor found me and we gossiped about girl guide politics. You know. . .as you do. . .

The week before I didn't update on as it was the most manic week I've ever had the pleasure of working. Full house plus tours plus day activities plus an evening programme nearly every night. By day activities, there is really only one of note and that is that the Olave Baden-Powell Society met in our conference room. This is mad for a number reasons, the main one being because they are patroned by Princess Benedickte of Denmark. Um, so we had a princess grace Pax Lodge while OBPS met to induct new members. Yes. I think spent the entire day running, until our chef repeatedly threw me out of rooms in an attempt to get me to stop working (as my shift had started at seven.) Well done, sir.

But all the Pax volunteers did get to meet the Princess. She was lovely, very much what you feel a princess should be, I think.

Here is my favorite photo of the day though:



This is a photo of Diamela from Argentina and Prerana from Nepal sitting with Gill Clay, who is the grand daughter of the Baden Powells. She was very cool - she was quite happy to talk about guiding, what our favorite parts were and the problems we thought the movement faced. It was good to talk to her because I think sometimes, us being right next to the World Bureau (the secretariat of WAGGGS) we do tend to get a little corporate in our thinking about guiding. Or at least, I think I do. So it was nice to talk to her because she was coming from a much more organic place. Also, because, hi. Grand daughter of the Baden-Powells.

Here are some other photos:

canadian embassy!

Canada Day is 1 June. The Canadians took over Trafalagar Square for two days. It was awesome, of course. The US didn't get a celebration in Trafalagar Sq but there were fesitivities at British Museum. And there were fireworks! I saw them out the window on the second floor stairwell! This was after I nearly fell out my window trying to see them, of course, but that's the nice thing about fireworks - very difficult to lose them.

french schoolkids

I went out on an open-top bus tour with the event on Monday. It was the most horrifyingly touristy thing I've done since I've been here and I think it might have been much more useful if I hadn't already been living here for four months, but oh well. Anyway, we were trundling along (there was terrible traffic, I got sunburned) and we saw a group of schoolkids that looked like the girls from Madeleine. They were adorable.

I think I've exhausted everything I have to say. It's raining and I'm having a cup of tea and thinking sadly of all the dance performances (there are loads of outdoor dance performances today, for some reason) that will get slippery, and also how everyone going to London's gay pride parade (also, happening today) will be very wet. Hopefully it clears up later.

No comments: